Monday, November 16, 2009

MOVE IT, SHORT STUFF.

Last night I went to see Quench Your Thirst For Spots, the 56th edition of the Cannes Lions International Advertising Film Festival. It's playing at Cinema du Parc until the 28th so you should definitely go.

One of my favourites ties in with something very cool happening tonight in Montreal, the Worldwide Short Film Festival, which is free at 7pm at Cinema du Parc. I have to work tonight so I can't go but you should.


I know how you feel, brother.

Here we go...

This is funny and heartwarming. I love it.


I liked this ad for the most beautiful version of Donna Summer's I Feel Love ever. It was also really pretty to watch. It was not meant to be funny at all and it wasn't until the very end that it was. You'll see... Or maybe you won't because no one else in the packed theatre laughed except me.



What were they thinking with that VOICE?! Gag me with a spoon, my GAWD. It's the sort of voice that says things like "The Hills. Tuesdays at 8 on MTV." It belongs to the kind of girl whose boyfriend drives a white SUV with diamond studs in his ears. He always honks the horn when he comes to pick her up and he's never opened a door for her in his life. Did I mention he wears sunglasses at night?

That said, I'm sure it smells delicious. And it was directed by Chris Cunningham, who did Aphex Twin's Windowlicker video, which is one of the most off the wall coolest videos ever plus the song totally rules.


This one is funny for sure, especially because it reminded me of myself. Three out of four times I try to answer our phone, I have this problem. I'm not joking. I'm not an idiot. But this really happens to me.


This one was a major crowdpleaser.


I came across a followup ad from Heineken that's a bit funny too, and one from Bavaria that is also a bit funny. But you can go find them yourself.

I normally get grossed out with Pizza Pops ads but I liked this one.


This is not laugh out loud funny but great work, you guys.


A 1 second ad can really pack a punch.


For the backstory, go to 1secondad.com and watch the WAREHOUSE video.

Another very cool (I think it's free) thing happening in Montreal tonight that I am really sorry to miss is a talk with photographer Gabor Szilasi put on by the Montreal Camera Club. I hadn't heard of him until recently, when my mom sent me this picture in the mail that she got at his exhibit, The Eloquence of the Everyday, showing at the Canadian Museum of Contemporary Photography in Ottawa until January. You have to click on it to see the whole thing.


















It now hangs behind my bed very close to my head, which is where I like to have dreamy pictures that might inspire cool dreams. I like to listen to this song and pretend I am the girl on the backseat. You should try it, I always have a great time.