Thursday, November 12, 2009

TELL ME WHAT YOU SAW.

Last Friday marked the beginning of My Very Own Documentary Film Fest. I spent 6 out of 24 hours sitting in the dark at Cinema du Parc and it just so happened that every movie I saw was in the same theatre so I always sat in the same seat in the back left-hand corner all by myself, and that felt good.

First I saw Art & Copy. Not great. A friend of mine had told me it was supersweet but I was disappointed. Part of me wishes that was all I'd heard of it going in but I happened upon Matthew Hayes' not too stoked review in the Mirror first, wherein he described the film as something like a drawn out blow job to the advertising industry, completely lacking in critical perspective. I have to agree, it was pretty one dimensional. It was basically some big deals going over what made them big deals.


Thinking about the blowjob comment, I conjured up the unfortunate image of James Cameron giving himself a handjob. "I made Titanic! I made Titanic! People thought it wouldn't fly but I made Titanic! Everyone saw Titanic! I made Titanic! I'm a legend! Oh fuck, I'm gonna COME!"

















That said, it was fun to learn the roots of some big campaigns that totally invaded my childhood. Nike's JUST DO IT, for example, was inspired by the overzealous last words of a death row inmate..."Let's do it!"

The meant to be heartwarming parts following a guy who puts up billboards for a living were pretty hey nice try bud. He's a construction worker, don't pretend he's your friend.

Enlighten Up!
was the one that had me most stoked. "A Skeptic's Journey into the World of Yoga..." It's not just because I love yoga and would be lost without it that I loved this movie. And it ain't no BJ. Those of you who are amused by my taking yoga seriously (you know who you are...) might be pleased to know that the skeptic does not become one with Ghandi by year's end. Whatever you guys, I bet you five dollars you'll enjoy it. And the skeptic is a pretty cute Patrick Dempsey for the woman that doesn't get the whole Patrick Dempsey craze.



The other documentary I saw was Hommes à Louer, about Montreal men working in the sex trade. It was just interviews the whole way through, 143 minutes of the director behind the camera asking questions. Not that it wasn't interesting to hear about a side of life I knew nothing about, it was just too much sadness for too long. Like The Wrestler. Holy shit, that guy just can't catch a break. Sad from start to finish. Little to no hope. It's worth seeing though, especially if you live in or know Montreal as it's pretty hard-hitting to realize the shit that happens SO CLOSE TO YOU. Some of them are teenagers, most are under 25. ALL are addicted to crack. Duh I guess, but it still makes you want to cry. Final thought? Rent it so you can take a cupcake break. Heavy shit, be forewarned.













On a lighter note, don't these cupcakes remind you of that really fun game where you catch the fish??
















Aiight, after all them docs, I invited my friend Ayan to go see Les Beaux Gosses on Sunday. First we ate some cheesecake at her place.























Soanyway. Holy wow, what a great movie! Go see it soon!

1 comment: